What's new

Ask Dell xps 9710 Bios recovery

Question & Answer Forums

xps13379710

Registered member
Hello, i have a Dell XPS 9710 that has a bios problem and it shows the failure code for "LCD Rail failure".

If i try CTRL+ESC and then connect the power cord it shows me the failure code for "No bios recovery image found" which makes sense, wanted to create a usb stick with the recovery image on the Stick, but Dell does not provide me with a download of the BIOS, i can only download this wierd update util: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=9pd89&lwp=rt
You can see on the Dell website that there is an exe and an BIOS_IMG.rcv, but if you look at the filesize and the hash, it is clear it is both the same file.
Dell suggests to use a bootable USB and put the BIOS_IMG.rcv in the root dir of the usb, but this file is a windows executable, how should this work in the bios recovery - i don't get it but in a FAQ they even suggest to rename the bios.exe to BIOS_IMG.rcv

I have no operating system installed at all.

This leads me to 2 questions:
1. How does bios recovery work with windows executable files.
2. Where do i get the real recovery file / can it be extracted?

Hello, i have a Dell XPS 9710 that has a bios problem and it shows the failure code for "LCD Rail failure".

If i try CTRL+ESC and then connect the power cord it shows me the failure code for "No bios recovery image found" which makes sense, wanted to create a usb stick with the recovery image on the Stick, but Dell does not provide me with a download of the BIOS, i can only download this wierd update util: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=9pd89&lwp=rt
You can see on the Dell website that there is an exe and an BIOS_IMG.rcv, but if you look at the filesize and the hash, it is clear it is both the same file.
Dell suggests to use a bootable USB and put the BIOS_IMG.rcv in the root dir of the usb, but this file is a windows executable, how should this work in the bios recovery - i don't get it but in a FAQ they even suggest to rename the bios.exe to BIOS_IMG.rcv

I have no operating system installed at all.

This leads me to 2 questions:
1. How does bios recovery work with windows executable files.
2. Where do i get the real recovery file / can it be extracted?
you need downloads
BIOA in forum and Programming

Back